JVC Audio Settings
Using the Shot Gun (On-board) Camera Microphone:
- The shot gun camera microphone should be connected to INPUT 1.
- Under the CH-2 INPUT switch select INPUT 1
- Under AUDIO INPUT set the INPUT 1 switch to MIC+48V
What you will see in the viewfinder: The audiometer in the viewfinder will show two audio channels (a left and a right channel). This means that the audio from the shot gun microphone is being fed into two channels.
Using the Stick Microphone (for stand-ups and interviews):
- Connect the stick microphone to INPUT 2.
- Under the CH-2 INPUT switch select INPUT 2
- Under AUDIO INPUT, set the INPUT 2 switch to MIC.
What you will see in the viewfinder: the audio meter in the viewfinder will show two channels of
audio, except the top channel (CH 1) will be audio from the shot gun
microphone and the bottom channel (CH 2) will be coming from the stick microphone.
Confirm the stick microphone is alive by gently tapping it gently. You should see a spike in the audio meter when you tap it. As a rule, the stick microphone only records a single channel of audio.
NOTE: Apply the same instructions for plugging in a stick microphone when using a wireless microphone.
Under the AUTO MANUAL controls, adjust the audio levels
- Switch the AUDIO SELECT buttons to MANUAL.
- Ask the reporter or interviewee to do a sound-check
- Turn the thumbwheel and look at the audiometer in the viewfinder to see the change in audio levels. Don’t let the audio peak in the red or else it could become distorted.
Always monitor the quality
of the audio using headphones. The volume control for the headphones is the
thumbwheel at the back of the camera.