Using the Assignment Manager
This is where the story development process begins!
The Assignment Manager lets you assign story and content development tasks to students and to monitor the status of those assignments. From the Assignment Manager Panel users can create, manage and monitor assignments.
Story development occurs the moment you create or receive a story assignment. To ensure that assignments are ready to go, due dates can be added and e-mail notifications made to users when the deadline nears. The story author can also use the Assignment Manager to enter research gathered for the story, including text, audio or video files.
The assignments can be viewed on a grid or in a calendar. The Assignment Manager cannot be accessed on a mobile device.
When you open Inception, go to the Tasks panel located in the main toolbar at the top of the Inception screen.
The Tasks Panel
The icon on the left is the Assignment Manager. Click to open the Assignment Manager Panel.
In this panel you will see a list of current assignments, according to the date they were created.
The Assignment Manager Panel
Grid or Calendar
To switch between the two displays, click on either the Grid or Calendar buttons located on the far right side of the Assignment Manager toolbar. The Calendar display is illustrated below.
Creating an Assignment
The illustration above shows a panel without any assignments. But this will soon change once the newscast begins.
Click on the Create Assignment icon.
The New Dialog box opens. This is where you will be able to enter a brief description of the assignment, the due date and even the users assigned to the task. Keep it brief because you might want to view the Assignment Manager using the Calendar option and you don't want the slugs too long.
- Slug: in this box enter a brief description of the assignment. This is for internal use only.
- Due Date: click this box to open the Calendar tool and select the due date for the assignment. If the assignment doesn't have a due date, then leave the box blank or click No Expiry in the Calendar tool. Once the date and time are set, click Done.
- Location: In this box, enter the location for the assignment. For stories with multiple locations, you can either leave this blank or just type in Multiple.
- Program: enter the name of the program the assignment will be in. NewsTeam of course!
- Format: enter the story format (VO, SOT, VOSOT, IN-DEPTH, QUICK, OVERNIGHT, SAME-DAY, NATIONAL)
- Ribbon: select the colour code for this assignment. Yellow = Unassigned, Red = Assigned, Green = Completed
- Foreground/Background: Don't worry about filling this box. This selects the foreground text and background colour scheme for how the assignment will be displayed in the Assignment Manager panel.
- Assignee: click the box to select from a list of Inception users. You can assign one or more users to any one task.
- Status: use this list to display the current status of the assignment. Click in the box and select from the list, None, Unassigned, Assigned, Completed.
- Note: use this box to enter any particular notes that may be required for this assignment.