Tech Support – 1-800-272-4004
NewsTeam Boulder is a CNN affiliate, which means that we have permission to use video from their CNN Newsource without having to give on-screen attribution. To obtain this footage,
- start by using Firefox (CNN has had some compatibility issues with Safari, which may cause you problems with downloading video)
- Go to www.newsource.cnn.com
- Then type in our user name and password (see instructor for password).
On the next screen, in the upper left, click See All Videos
A new page will open showing all the stories by date.
There is an Advanced search field in the upper left that will let you narrow your search using categories and key terms.
Check the boxes that pertain to your search and click on the search magnifying glass icon.
A new page appears that shows the results of your search. Double click any result, which will open a new window where you can preview the video. Usually you will find meta data connected with the clip along with a script.
To download the video, click Actions, located in the upper right corner of the page. Select Request.
The next window that opens lets you select a broadcast format and a location for your download. To the right of Download Location, click the applet to the right to select a destination folder. Then under Broadcast Format, choose the format that NewsTeam is broadcast from the ATLAS Studio, which is SD 4:30 NTSC. Then click Request to start downloading.
- A download manager window will open with a status bar.
Give it a minute to start downloading. Once the download is complete, confirm that the file is where you wanted it to go.
Converting the file to DV/DVCPRO
Then you will need to use the MPEG Streamclip application (most computers in the edit lab have this).
The icon for MPEG Streamclip looks like this:
Open MPEG Streamclip.
- Under the File Menu, click Open Files and select your video from your project folder. The video will appear in the viewer.
- Then go back to File and click on Export to Quicktime. A new window will open, displaying the Quicktime settings.
In the Compression field (at the top of the window),
- select: Apple DV/DVCPRO - NTSC
- Adjust the quality to 100%, the Frame Rate to 29.97 and Deinterlace Video.
- Finally, click Make Movie. A new window will open that will give you to opportunity to rename the file if desired and save it in the preferred location (namely your project folder.